Are you ready to make a difference for Hawaii’s businesses and their workers? Do you want to replace “business as usual” with creating better, innovative solutions for tomorrow? Join us at HEMIC, Hawaii’s leading workers’ compensation insurance company.
This year, we celebrate our 20th anniversary, marking two decades of proudly taking care of Hawai’i. Voted in 2016 as one of Pacific Business News Magazine’s “Best Places to Work”, we recognize the impact that workplace injury can have on someone’s life – and so, we believe our kuleana is to bring Hawai’i workers back to work and back to life.
We seek individuals who are passionate about their work, who strive to achieve more and who bring out the best in others.
As an industry leader, we look for innovative people who are excited to improve the status quo — caring people who understand the importance of their work — industry leaders who embrace best practices and seek to raise the bar. We look for great people.
At HEMIC, we are dedicated to creating a healthy, energizing workplace for our employees and we offer competitive salary and benefits. We are a team, strongly committed to professional growth and staff development. Our low turnover rate is a testament to our thriving workplace culture.
At HEMIC, we are proud to be a local company. This means that while we draw on worldwide connections to ensure that we have the best tools and resources at our disposal, our work is here in Hawaii. We live in Hawaii, make our decisions in Hawaii, and serve the employers and employees of Hawaii.
To apply for a position at HEMIC, please email your resume, references and a cover letter explaining why you’re excited to join HEMIC to firstname.lastname@example.org. We are seeking qualified, motivated professionals willing to excel in a fast-paced, high-tech environment.
Current Job Openings
Candidates must possess knowledge of Hawaii workers’ compensation laws and best practices for claim handling. Must have strong customer service and communication skills and the ability to work independently. Minimum of three (3) years’ experience handling indemnity claims required.Apply Now
Seeking an IT Systems Analyst familiar with the insurance industry and processes. The primary responsibility of this position is to help HEMIC implement technology solutions in a cost-effective way by translating and correlating business needs into automated processes and application requirements for internal and external stakeholders, facilitators and customers.
Successful candidates will possess the following knowledge and skills:
- The principles of information and business technology requirements analysis, normally acquired through college-level courses.
- Software development lifecycle (SLDC), including software testing and quality assurance (QA).
- Function Point Analysis (FPA).
- Understanding of software application concepts.
- System change control.
- Working knowledge of the insurance business and processes, preferably workers’ compensation insurance.
- In-depth analytical and conceptual skills to handle various projects and programs.
- The ability to communicate and work effectively with a variety of individuals (customers, coworkers, management, vendors), including writing business cases.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication, including technical writing skills.
- The ability to promote and champion process improvements.
- The ability to analyze information to elicit and simplify requirements.
- The ability to conduct cost/benefit analysis.
- Comfortable working in a matrix project management environment.
Seeking an experienced applications developer for our IT Division. This position creates, modifies and integrates software applications, applets and software utilities for off-the-shelf applications, affiliated third-party solutions and corporate intranet. Will also provide consultation and requirements analysis for new software applications, assist in the analysis and revision of existing system functions and automated tasks, and programmatic support for customer-facing websites.
Ideal candidate will have working knowledge of Microsoft operating systems and application technologies and programming languages, including: HTML, CSS, Java, JS, PHP, ASP and SQL. Must be customer service-driven and have strong interpersonal skills. Previous programming experience required as well as experience in developing, testing, supporting and troubleshooting server-sided and web/browser-based applications.
Summary of responsibilities include:
- Performs requirements analysis, design, development, testing, and support of insurance software applications, applets, integration, and automated tasks.
- Programs interfaces, user exits, and customizations for COTS applications.
- Builds in-house applications and services to automate and improve core functions.
- Rapid application prototyping of proposed solutions.
- Documentation of applications (includes training, process flow, troubleshooting, system configuration, user documentation, etc).
- Regression testing of in-house applications during upgrades, updates, and patches.
- Performs support for external websites with effective communication with internal second-tier technicians and designers.
- Fields incoming help requests (including occasional after-hours support) from end users via trouble ticket system, telephone, and e-mail in a courteous manner.
- Prepare and review financial statements, budgets, budget variance reports, compliance filings, presentations, supporting work papers, journal entries, audit schedules, and asset management.
- Identify, determine and execute proper application of statutory or GAAP financial reporting requirements.
- Monitor internal controls and tests to ensure they are working as intended.
- Understand operational workflows and processes; develop or apply tools and models for forecasting, cash management and analytics.
- Customer service support
Successful candidates will possess:
- Proven advanced knowledge of accounting principles and practices, methods, theories, analysis, account reconciliation, work paper preparation and process improvement initiatives. Insurance industry and/or insurance accounting experience preferred.
- Strong understanding and application of internal controls and internal control structure.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and ability to establish effective working relationships with staff, management, customers and vendors.
- Ability to problem solve, work independently, lead projects, manage confidential information, and balance multiple priorities in a time sensitive and highly regulated environment.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting and/or minimum four years of applicable experience relative to the preceding qualifications. CPA license preferred.
Successful candidates will possess:
- The ability to process, code and record cash receipts, disbursements and journal entries, and the ability to reconcile key general ledger account balances.
- The ability to process bills and check requests and to assess budget availability.
- The ability to multi-task in a highly regulated environment.
- The ability to meet critical deadlines on a regular basis.
- Must possess a working knowledge of accounting principles, methods, theories and practices.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work independently.
Experience: None required, but prior insurance experience helpful.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in accounting or related field from a four-year college or university.Apply Now