To say that 2017 has been a busy year for HEMIC would be an incredible understatement. This year HEMIC marked 20 years of service to Hawaii’s businesses and workers. We celebrated our 20-year milestone with many special activities, and we were proud to receive honors that recognize how far we have come in our first 20 years — evolving from our humble origin as a residual market created to solve Hawaii’s challenge of uninsured businesses, to become the largest workers’ compensation carrier in Hawaii, and the carrier of choice, today.
To recap some of our 2017 highlights:
- We declared our eleventh consecutive Policyholder Dividends, totaling $3.5 million, amounting to about one months’ premium for qualifying policyholders. With this dividend, HEMIC has returned over $31 million dollars to Hawaii businesses over the last ten-plus years. As a mutual insurance company, our ability to return dividends to qualifying policyholders underscores the value of what working together and investing in workplace safety brings to employers and employees.
- Internally, we launched Ka Piko: a new, integrated core computer system that includes data analytics, account management, and self-service portals for policyholders and agents. Ka Piko will improve our business agility, lower costs, and increase our customer service offerings to our agents and policyholders.
- This year, A.M. Best reaffirmed our “A” rating with Stable Outlook. This rating speaks to our financial strength and security and our ability to fulfill our commitment to Hawaii for the long-term.
- In March, HEMIC received the Hawaii Better Business Bureau’s Torch Award for Ethics, a prestigious award given to businesses who hold ethics and integrity as core values of their organization and who demonstrate these values in their day-to-day business with customers, key stakeholders and their community. We were honored as a finalist in the International BBB Torch Awards in September, as well.
- For the second year in a row, HEMIC ranked as one of Hawaii’s “Best Workplaces”. This is meaningful to us because we know that caring for our own employees and developing a “best workplace” environment with engaged employees is foundational to providing dedicated, best-in-class service to our customers.
- We were also pleased to be a finalist for “Business of the Year, Large Business Category” at the Pacific Business News Business Leadership Awards.
- HEMIC’s executives were recognized for their leadership and contributions to our business and local community. Pacific Business News honored Tammy Teixeira, Vice President of Agency Management & Service, as a “Women Who Mean Business Industry Leader” and Faye Bueno, Vice President of Administration was honored as “2017 Workplace Champion, Large Business Category”. And I was honored and humbled to be named the American Savings Bank “Business Leader of the Year” at the PBN Business Leader Awards in November.
As we enter 2018, and begin our next 20 years in business, we renew our commitment to serving Hawaii’s businesses and their employees each and every day with excellence, professionalism and integrity – the three core values that inspire and guide us in our mission to improve workplace safety, deter fraud, and help injured workers get back to work – and back to life.
Mahalo for your trust,
Martin J. Welch
Chief Executive Officer