Reflecting on 2019, we experienced a year of exciting, strategic growth at HEMIC: one that builds momentum for 2020 and beyond. Our growth has been thoughtfully focused on what it takes to achieve our vision to be a leading insurance carrier — to provide superior service, innovation and thought-leadership — while grounding ourselves deeply in both our mission to take care of Hawai`i businesses and workers as well as the values that guide us: excellence, integrity, professionalism and belief.
Here’s a quick look at what happened at HEMIC in the twelve short months of 2019:
- We launched a new subsidiary, Employer’s Protective Insurance Company, offering Temporary Disability Insurance for off-the-job injuries and illness. This next step in diversification responds to a clear need in the marketplace, and helps to ensure our stability and maintain our promise to be here for Hawai`i businesses as long as there is business in Hawai`i.
- We further grew and expanded our subsidiary, HIMI, introducing a new marine program to complement HEMIC’s Workers’ Compensation offering, and to provide better options for Hawai`i’s smaller businesses who struggle to find affordable marine coverage. HIMI also added new carrier partners specializing in aviation and accident & health.
- We surpassed 100 employees — and we’re still growing! All of our `ohana are located here in Hawai`i, with skills and expertise in their chosen areas and, just as importantly, a compassionate, can-do attitude.
- We acquired a new building, which will bring everyone together in one location and gives us the opportunity to optimize our physical organization, facilitating communication, increasing collaboration, and enhancing efficiency and effectiveness. The new building will give us more room to support our existing operations as well as accommodate continued growth, and we will develop the spaces in ways that best support our people and our business. Further, as an investment strategy, the new building strengthens our long-term financial stability.
While growth is a time of looking forward and reaching ahead, we have been mindful to remain dedicated to HEMIC’s purpose and to what makes us strong and unique. You could say we are deepening our roots while we grow new branches.
- We declared our thirteenth consecutive Policyholder Dividend, totaling $3.5 million and averaging over 8% of their premium for qualifying policyholders. This brings our total dividends issued over the years to $38 million.
- A.M. Best affirmed our rating of “A” (Excellent) with Stable Outlook. We’ve maintained this rating since we were first rated in 2007.
- We were named one of
Hawaii Business’2019 Best Places to Work. We know that the quality of our service to our customers begins at home, so we are committed to developing and fostering a workplace that brings out the best in our employees and helps them to thrive, both at work and outside the office.
As we enter into a new year and indeed, a new decade, we do so with the enthusiasm, inspiration and yes, the perspiration required to build and maintain the best organization we can to serve our Hawai`i community. That’s our can-do spirit at work, and it’s our kuleana at heart.
Mele Kalikimaka me ka Hau`oli Makahiki Hou!
Martin J. Welch
Chief Executive Officer